Heavens Shine Upon Me

House of Capulet:

Letter of Correspondence by Rosaline Capulet:

My dearest Marianna,
The heavens are shining upon me today. I just received news that my new mauve dress with the fabulous embroidered top is finished. I absolutely love Mr. Epcott, my tailor. I showed him The Gibson Girl from that new American writer, Charles Gibson. Those Gibson Girl sketches have been appearing in The Century magazine for months now and have become all the rage. The sketches are so eloquent; Oh how I wish I had his talent. After he looked at it, I told him I would like a one of a kind creation just to that effect, and he said, “Bien sûr. Vous avez être très belle dans la robe.” Oh and I clipped out the picture of the dress, darling, for you to see and I hope that you will stop by later to see it in person. The tailor spent hours on the needle work and it’s been days since I have stopped in to see it. I am ever so happy. The style of the dress is so modern too. Although sometimes I still wish that the tailored suits would come back into fashion, they are so empowering. That is probably why they left so quickly though. I weary of men who do not like to see women as equals, just as possessions. I will not rant off to you about it in this letter anymore though. I will be able to speak my mind at the meeting later this week. I am thankful that they have organized a meeting for women’s rights so close to home. Promise me that you will come and that you won’t breathe a word about it my mother or anyone. It would be a scandal to be caught there. I don’t want to disgrace my family even if I feel like it is becoming increasingly more important. Well, darling, I must begin my piano-forte practice now, but I earnestly hope that you will be over for tea later.
Ever Yours,
Rosaline

No comments:

Post a Comment